We all have been in this situation… You have this tasty avocado recipe on your mind, bought all the necessary ingredients for your delicious dinner and just as you are starting to open the avocado you realize it is already a little bit brown inside. Brown avocados can be tricky to use, but we’re going to show you a simple trick and you will be able to use it in your dishes.
Some people now might argue and say “what a rookie mistake, I just take the avocado pit out and store it in the fridge” but it definitely doesn’t work this way.
The brown tone of your avocado is determined by various factors. It depends on how much oxygen is in the air, what the room temperature is or how acidic the fruit itself is.
As soon as the process of oxidation applies on the avocado, it automatically turns into a brownish color. If you leave the fruit out for too long, it can result in a severe oxidation which eventually damages the tissues and gives the fruit a very bitter and unpleasant taste. Also, the consistency changes and the avocado can appear as mushy.
This could be due to two reasons. Either the avocado is overripe, or the fruit was out for too long and the oxidation started.
What can be done to avoid this oxidation or to slow it down?
- Take the avocado and cut it into half
- Spread either lemon juice or olive oil over both halves
- Put both halves into cling wrap and put it in your fridge
Voilà! You just saved your meal of the day with this simple trick. But one question is still unanswered. Is a brown avocado still edible?
The answer is yes, you can still eat a brown avocado. Of course, if the fruit was already out on your kitchen counter for two weeks, then you might as well have to throw it in the trash, but if you are preparing guacamole and it only has a small color change you definitely can use the avocado.
Surely, always try the avocado in advance to make sure the fruit is still enjoyable and doesn´t taste bitter.
Since we are talking about Guacamole, here is our secret recipe from your Avocado Buddy for the perfect but simple “Guacamole and Nacho” combo to end a successful day or to start an adventure night with your beloved ones. All you need is:
- 3 avocados
- 2 Roma tomatoes, already diced
- 3 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon or lime
- Sea salt, amount depending on your taste, we recommend half a tbsp.
- A big bag of nacho chips
- A shot of avocado oil (in our last blog we explained how you can easily prepare it on your own)
- Slice the avocados and put them in a bowl
- Mash the avocados with a fork or spoon and try to create a very smooth consistency
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix it together
- Serve and enjoy!