Continuing with our little online recipe book of avocado goodies, today I have for you a double whammy. We will be making an avocado key lime pie. And for those of you who want to bake it from scratch, I have prepared a super easy crust recipe as well.
I have been making this beauty for ages now, and it always turns out great. It’s super easy to make, and the citrusy taste combined with the added flare of shredded coconut and coconut cream are bound to take you to a sunny summer beach with every bite.
For the crust I usually use homemade granola because I like to change up the ingredients every once in a while, but store-bought is fine as well. It’s just that by making everything from scratch you can be absolutely sure what’s inside your dessert and avoid all the unwanted preservatives and additives commercial producers usually have to use. The same goes for the crust, in which we will use some extra flax seeds and rolled oats for added texture as well as the nutritional goodies that come from them.
The filling itself is, of course, the star of our show. While the recipe is mostly the standard key lime pie fare, the avocado and coconut make it taste like another dish completely.
And like in our Vietnamese-inspired Avocado Smoothie, we will add a bit of condensed milk for a bit of sweetness (naughty temptation). So, let’s get started on proving that desserts can be tasty and healthy as well, with our avocado key lime pie.
Annerie’s Avocado Keylime Pie
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Cooling time: 3 hours
Servings: 4 people
- 1 cup granola (I used homemade)
- ⅓ rolled oats
- 4 tbsp plant-based butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp maple syrup or agave
- ⅓ wheat germ
- ⅓ flax seeds
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ coconut cream
- ⅓ shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine all the ingredients for the crust in a bowl then pour into a pie dish.
- Press the crust ingredients firmly onto the base of the pie dish, using the back of a spoon.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes at 350°F (175ºC).
- Mix all the pie filling ingredients in a bowl (adjust the amount of sweetened condensed milk to your own liking).
- Remove the baked pie crust from the oven and allow it to completely cool (should take an hour or so).
- Pour the pie filling into the pie dish then refrigerate for 3 hours to completely set before topping with toasted coconut before serving.